Monday, September 16, 2019

Really Hard Post--We Will Miss You Molly Moo

Well.  This post isn't going to be easy as it was one of the most difficult days that I can remember in a LONG time.  & for that, I'm very fortunate.  After a few weeks of knowing what we needed to do, we decided to say goodbye to Molly on Friday, September 13th.   I had a really hard time making the  phone call, but I knew it needed to be done.  So, on the Tuesday before...Jeff called Home with Dignity and spoke to one of the doctor's who received all the details and arranged for Dr. Hutchenson to come out Friday morning.  The process was so professional and respectful.  So, we spent every moment that we could soaking in Molly and getting tons of pictures.   My friend Becki let us borrow her wagon, so she got in 3 walks that she had not been on in months.  We honestly can't even remember how long it had been since she was able to walk around the neighborhood that she lived in for 8.5 years.   She loved it though, and you could tell that despite her struggle--she was smiling from ear to ear.   I have been an emotional disaster, and knew it was going to be HARD...but didn't realize just how hard it really was.   Getting out of the house on Saturday with a friend who is a Vet Tech offered some perspective and a chance to get my mind off of the sadness.   Jeff has been doing okay, and we honestly couldn't have asked for a more peaceful departure for Molly from this world.   Beautiful morning, in the back corner of the yard where she laid so relaxed and content.  No panting.  No nervousness.  She will be dearly missed. 

Here are a bunch of old photos I had found over the years of Molly as part of our little family. 


JR as a toddler playing with the pups.

Waiting for Grandma and Grandpa to pull up.



Relaxing on a Football Sunday.

Sniffing out Alex.

Molly tolerated Moses for so many years.

Where she laid the past year while I had the privilege of working from home.  I'm very fortunate I was able to be here to care for her and look after her and spend time with her.

When we did the Pug group shot for the Colorado Pug Rescue calendar.   Punkin' and Moses are sadly the only ones left.  So many personalities in one shot!



She was so deeply loved.

Look at those young faces!

The kids have been doing surprisingly well.  They have told me that they miss her, but that they understand the struggle she was living.  I believe the kids had also distanced themselves from her the past few months as she became so much less mobile and involved.














I will miss Saturday and Sunday mornings with her cuddled up right on top of me keeping me warm.



Of course Jeff captured this beauty last year.

Such a pretty girl.

That "Monday" look.


One of my favorite pictures of Alex and Molly.

Back in the old town home. 

How she often would bury her eyes so it was nice and dark.

Finding that warm spot to lay in the sun was one of her favorite things.

Sleeping bags just for Molly.



Dog park fun.

Guilty!

Another one of my most favorite pictures.



Double Trouble.

Getting ready for JR's arrival in August of 2009.

3 years old.

When she had to have her knee operated one right after having JR.  It was quite the circus.





Teaching Moses how to play rope.


Christmas Molly.




She loved snagging underwear and then hiding under the bed with them in her younger days.


She would eat anything.  Even pretzels (Moses won't touch them).




I will never regret taking so many pictures over the years.  I want to remember her forever.
These pictures were captured the last few days we knew we had with her.  These ones hurt the most.














Jeff captured this shot, and it is just so wonderfully awful.


See that smile?  She was very happy.




















Friday morning.  One last trip to the park. She had Wendy's French Fries and some Cheeseburger, and we picked her up a doggy bagel from Einsteins Bagels. We used to get them from her all the time back when we lived in the town home.




We had some beautiful flowers brought over by the neighbors, and Ms. Rose stopped by with a white rose and said goodbye.  Ms Rose has watched Molly over the last few years whenever we went away. 

The Loomis family sent us a very nice delivery of warm cookies that were delicious and comforting.

Moses has been doing surprisingly well.  He was right by our side Friday morning through the entire start to finish.  Maybe he knows, but he hasn't been looking for her or upset or in distress in anyway.



He has been getting lots of extra love.  We took him to the dog park on Sunday and he loved every minute of it.


And he might have got a few licks of Josh N John's ice cream.






I think he will be just fine, and we are going to soak in every day we have left with this guy.

I realized this morning how bittersweet it was not to have to worry about what we were going to wake up to.   Having to hold Molly up so that she could eat, drink, and go potty.  Not having to feel terrible that she hasn't left the same spot for hours.  Not to be anxious about hurting my back again lifting her and carrying her.  She was worth every minute of it, but we knew she wasn't having fun anymore.  I loved this quote that came on the card from Dr. Hutchenson.  "There is no greater joy, and no greater sacrifice, than to love those who we must one day let go."  I couldn't agree more.   We love you Molly-Moo!  Moo-Head!  Mal-Mal.  Moloko.  Moo-Moo.  Molestra (don's ask--this was her in trouble name).  Molly-Moose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment