Monday, October 1, 2018

First Bone Break and First Cavity Filling

Well we have had BETTER weeks--that is for sure. But, could have been worse! I thought last Monday was going a little wonky all morning, and then around 12:30 I got a phone call from the school nurse explaining that JR had fallen off the Orbitron (a spinning monkey bar contraption thing), and that he was being sent back to class with an ice pack. THEN, she called again about 2:00 and said that he was pretty weepy and she wanted to call it a day. So, I went and picked the kids up and he was certainly not happy and his eyes were puffy from crying )-:  I called the nurse, and she said it would be a good idea to go ahead and take him in for an X-ray on Tuesday.   He was acting pretty normal as long as he had some Motrin on board, and even Tuesday morning when I picked him up from school to take him in for an X-ray he was in great spirits and almost decided against it. 
This was a picture of Monday evening.  Not much swelling or bruising.

This was Tuesday morning--a little puffier. 

This was Tuesday afternoon.  Well--we did FINALLY get a phone call Tuesday afternoon about 6 hours after we did the X-ray and they explained that he broke his radius.  Both Jeff and I were pretty shocked!  We honestly thought it was just a sprain, and were convinced this was not what a broken wrist looks like and how a kid with a broken wrist acts.

So Wednesday morning we had an appointment with the Orthopedic PA at Children's Hospital here in town.   I thought this was a good sign when we first walked in (being greeted by a coffee cart).

We were in and out pretty quickly.   It was a simple procedure and we will be going back in a few weeks for a waterproof cast as we head off to the beach.  Of all the weeks! 








He picked a cool camouflage wrap.

Maybe this will help break him of his thumb-sucking habit? HA! Fat chance.  Didn't even miss a beat.

Good to go! 

Alex had her FIRST filling scheduled for Thursday afternoon and I was MUCH more anxious about that procedure than I was dealing with JR's broken wrist.  Ha!  I'm happy to report she did FANTASTIC.  Didn't complain one bit and took it like a pro.  I was amazed!

She wanted to listen to my headphones so that she didn't have to hear all the drilling and such.   I was so proud of her. 

Friday night I did a get together with my local surrogate friends.  We went to a cool little place that does custom board signs.  It was super fun!  We also did get some time to visit, so that was nice.

Ryan, Charlena, Krista, Alex, and Leah!


I did some Halloween "bonus" boards as well.   Super cute!

All of us with our final products.  I would love to go back.

Perfect!

My friend Ashley caught a couple of action shots. 
Adding in the wormholes:

The staining process:

Saturday morning with everyone piled on top of me.  That didn't take long!

Saturday afternoon we went up to Manitou Springs and met some of our friends there for the Heritage Brew Festival.  It was awesome! So many of our favorite breweries,  not very crowded and beautiful weather.  It was a great event and we all had a great time.  The kids hung with Ms. Rose, and it sounds like they enjoyed being bums.  Ha!


On Sunday we met our Triple J friends at Longneck Pumpkin Patch in the morning.  Another beautiful day, and JRs cast has proven not to hold him back from doing anything.

I believe Alex is digging corn out of her butt crack. LOL.




The kids built a fort!


JR suckered me in to buying a couple pumpkins as I was hoping to hold off for that until closer to Halloween.


All the kids on the truck!

Alex found a perfect pumpkin, too.

These are the pictures from Larissa's camera.  MUCH better.
Besties!

Gavin, JR, and Connor in the corn pit.


Gwyn was helping Alex tie her shoe.  It is what BFF's do!












Cathy and I!


JR "dabbing,"  the little ones Christopher and Sam in the front, Alex and Connor, and in the back we have Jameson, Gavin, Gwyn and Alexa!




We had a very good end to our not so great week.  This week the kids have a short school week, JR's Birthday party at Dart Warz is Thursday night, and Sunday we are headed to the Denver Zoo for JR's actual Birthday and some fun family time.   Can't believe I'm going to have a NINE year old this time next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment